Thursday, September 17, 2009

Cable Sweater for Ollie

Okay, I'll be the first to admit it -- I'm still a bit wet behind the ears when it comes to knitting. I just took up the hobby in January of 2009 and still have a whoooooole lot to learn. Although, from what I can gather, it seems there's always something new to learn no matter how long you've been at it. Which is good because that will keep it from getting dull. But I'm getting off track. My latest accomplishment is (finally!) mastering a simple series of cables on a sweater. Woohoo!

I also put said cable series into a pattern for a sweater I made for my chihuahua, Oliver. I also made one for my other chi, Anna, but I'll get to that later. I wanted to share my pattern with other knitters -- especially novices who want to move on to something more intricate than scarves and rectangles, but nothing too overwhelming. So here it is. Hope you enjoy!



Cable Sweater for Ollie






Okay, if I can write a pattern and finish it in one day, ANYONE can! I’m not sure if this is actually “written” correctly, but I think it's understandable nonetheless.


This sweater was made for my Chihuahua, Ollie (isn’t he gorgeous?), who weighs 7.3 pounds and the entire project didn’t even use up half a skein. Also, I knitted both pieces from the bottom up on straight needles and then stitched them together.




Length: 9”


Neck: 10” (stretched)


Chest: 14”




Needle size: 9 / 5.5 mm




Back: CO 40 sts


Rows 1-7: K2, P2 across rows to make 1” ribbing.


Rows 8 & 12 (RS): K4, P4, K4, P4, K8, P4, K4, P4, K4


Rows 9, 11, 13 & 15 (WS): K8, P4, K4, P8, K4, P4, K8


Rows 10: K4, P4, Sl next 2 sts to cn, hold in front of work; K next 2 sts; K2 sts from cn, P4, Sl next 2 sts to cn, hold in front of work; K next 2 sts; K2 sts from cn, K4, P4, Sl next 2 sts to cn, hold in front of work; K next 2 sts; K2 sts from cn, P4, K4


Row 14: K4, P4, Sl next 2 sts to cn, hold in front of work; K next 2 sts; K2 sts from cn, P4, Sl next 4 sts to cn, hold in front of work; K next 4 sts; K4 sts from cn, P4, Sl next 2 sts to cn, hold in front of work; K next 2 sts; K2 sts from cn, P4, K4


Rep Rows 8-15 until sweater is desired length.


K2, P2 for 1” for mock turtleneck or 2” for regular turtleneck.


BO in K2, P2


Front (chest): CO 24 sts


K2, P2 for first 6 or 7 rows to make about 1” of ribbing.


Switch to stockinette for another 1-1.5”, knitting the first and last two sts of each row. If your dog is female, you can make this part longer to cover more of her belly.


K2tog after the first two K sts and before the last two K sts of every other row until you are left with 3 sts. (Note: I did this on the RS, but I’m not sure if it makes a difference)


BO


Finishing: Sew ends of turtleneck together to form neck. Fit triangle tip of front piece against bottom of turtleneck seam. Sew sides of front and back pieces together, leaving openings for legs.


I had alot of fun with this. I hope someone will try it out and enjoy it as much as I did. Please let me know if you do! And I’d love to see a picture! :)

7 comments:

  1. Hi there! Ollie's sweater is really cute. Thanks for sharing the pattern. My little girl is only 4.2 LBs, so I may have to make some modifications, but I am thinking just a smaller needle size might do the trick. I have made her a couple of sweaters, but most patterns are too big, so I am getting pretty good at modifying them. If you have not been knitting too long, you did a VERY nice job on this sweater. I hope you are proud - as you should be!
    I am "KathyInIowa" on ravelry. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this sweater too. I actually starting working on it last night. This is the first time that I have done a cable stitch so I wanted to ask you a question. When the directions say S1, does it mean to slip as if to knit or slip as if to purl.

    also, I am having trouble with row 10 as well. after i complete all the directions for row ten, i still have many stitches left on the left needle. Could you help me with this?

    Can't wait to see this cute pattern unfold.
    Thanks,
    Emmie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having problems with Row 10 also. I think I have like 12sts!
    I just bought a dog today and would love to of had this finished tonight. :(
    Please help!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Extra post to say that I Figured it out...DO NOT DO ROW 10 as stated..do it just like row 14 is written.
    It all is right now.

    Hope this helps others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so perfect! I have a very handsome half chihuahua half yorkie, he is very small and gets cold easily. His name is Oliver, we call him Oli...what a perfect sweater for him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just made this, next time would do ribbing with 1 size smaller needles. May add small cable up middle of front piece. Would be nice to have approximate measurements of where to leave open for dog legs, don't have a dog here to compare to. I think I will add a single crochet edging to the leg openings just for a little definition/edging.

    ReplyDelete